Bare Root Tree Care
BARE ROOT TREES:
Bare root trees are only available for Spring shipping.
What to expect when a package of Bare Root Trees arrives:
- They are shipped as dormant trees, meaning the trees will appear to be a stick with a root ball
- The root ball is the most important part of the tree
- The bare root trees should arrive in a plastic bag or heavily wrapped with plastic wrap
- The trees were dipped with our blend of mycorrhizal, bacteria and water gel.
- Trees may show up with brown leaves from the previous growing season. Chestnuts and oaks are notorious for this.
How should I care for bare root trees until I can plant them?
- We recommend planting them within 7 days upon delivery.
- We recommend storing the trees in a dark cold location until they can be planted. (For example, a basement or shaded corner of a garage)
- Be sure that the root systems are not exposed to light and have moisture in the bag/plastic wrap. A damp paper towel can provide moisture to the root system.
- Sooner they are planted the better they will do!
What if I cannot plant the bare root trees within 7 days?
- We recommend planting the bare root trees in 1 up to 5-gallon pots/buckets.
- Once planted in bucket or pot place outside to allow the tree to get sun light.
- Be aware and cautious of animals, as they may browse the budding tree.
- For best protection, we recommend the TreePro protector to prevent animal browse.
HELPFUL TIP: The key to survival for a tree in any planting season is to be sure the plant gets enough water. The #1 reason of lost trees is due to lack of water in their first year.